Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Arachnophobia

I've always been quite scared of spiders - but not until today did I realize just how much they bother me. It is normal to be afraid of a spider that is in the same space as you, but when they have no way of getting to you, it really shouldn't matter. Today was just like any other day. I got up early, got ready to go, grabbed all my stuff and headed out to the car. Mom stood on the step and said goodbye...I opened my car door and hopped in. Mom closed the door to the house as I put the car in reverse. As I turned my head to back out of the garage, a big black thing grabbed my attention. A great big black spider was sitting on the outside of my window right next to my head! I consoled myself with the fact that there is no way he can get in the car with me as long as all my doors and windows are closed (and locked!) I continued on out of the driveway and started down the road. The spider, however, was still in my peripheral vision so I could not very well forget about him. I soon had the sensation that spiders were crawling on me and I kept getting goosebumps and shivers! I turned my music up and started to sing outloud in an attempt to distract myself...it didn't work. So, I started banging on the window with my fist as I was driving down the road at 55 mph - I couldn't believe he could hang on! I contemplated taking the interstate - surely he couldn't hang on if I were going 70 mph...but according to my clock, I would be late for class if I took a detour, so I continued on the county road. At the stop sign he relaxed and started shooting his web all over my window - this guy did not want to let go. I took off on the next road. My eyes were on that spider as I accelerated, and accelerated, and accelerated....(and did some fist banging here and there)...1 leg broke free, then another, then another, etc...till he was only hanging on by strands of web and one foot. I continued to accelerate and hit the window. FINALLY he disappeared! I said a silent prayer of thanks and relaxed back into my seat until I saw that I was going 80 mph! I sat straight up, looked around my shoulder for flashing lights, and stepped on my brake....back down to 55. Sigh of relief. Well, one thing is for certain - I was not late for school today and I was definitely awake for the entire 1 1/2 hr. lecture period.

5 comments:

Charity Dawn said...

Hee!

jules said...

here's me laughing and laughing and laughing the whole time i'm reading that.
YOU ARE SO SILLY!!!! but i love you tons! :)

Anonymous said...

Jess, you are a nut!! I can understand people being so afraid of something scary like MICE, but little spiders!?!?!?! AND, . . . no more 80 miles an hour-----what if you would have crashed . . . and over an itsy bitsy spider??!?!?! hahah!!! you are so funny! Wish I could have put this all on video!! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Do you consider Charlotte’s Web a horror movie?

The Horaks said...

Hahaha! I actually had the same thing happen to me on Tuesday! Except, I was in town, so could not go faster than 35mph, and had to stop at like 4 stoplights. :P The spider crawled down into my rear view mirror to escape the wind, so I kept moving the mirror in an attempt to get him to come out and fall off, but no such luck. I was so scared to open the door to get out. I'm sure if anyone was watching they would have though I was pretty weird for the way I hopped out of the car and shut the door so quickly with my foot! Hahaha! I haven't seen the spider since...I really hope he found a new home there in the parking lot somewhere! :P