Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Giant Windmills

These wind farms are becoming more popular around the midwest, especially in our area. At first they were something to look at, but as they've rapidly popped up here and there in large quantities, they simply clutter our beautiful landscape. I'm sure they serve a wonderful purpose, but I'm a girl, so I don't have to acknowledge that, right? My job is to care about what they look like ;) When I look over the flat plains I love that I can see for miles and enjoy all things natural: stretches of fields with a farm here and there, cattle grazing in a huge open pasture...occasionally a good old fashioned windmill - the kind that compliment our rural area as opposed to these new sleek, modern, giant white plastic looking things. To be honest, I don't mind them so much as long as I don't have to look at them every day and as long as they never directly interrupt any of my favorite local "views." Recently as I was passing one of these wind farms with my mom on one of our road trips we both noted that for some reason they seem to be a little on the scary side to both of us when there are SO MANY! Haha! It reminded me of a literature story that I read in high school. The story of Don Quixote. Don Quixote and his side kick Sancho come upon thirty to forty windmills that appear as giants to Don Quixote. He tells Sancho that he is going to kill them all; keeping their treasures for themselves and doing all mankind a favor by removing their evil from the earth. Sancho tries to convince his master that these are windmills, but to no avail as Don Quixote charges at them amidst Sancho's screaming. Suddenly, a windmill that had been still, is put in motion by a strong gust of wind. One if its sails breaks Don Quixote's spear, then lifts and drops both him and Rocinante to the ground. Of course Don Quixote thinks the windmill giant has done this to him on purpose and continues to fight it! Sancho runs over and says he warned him they were windmills. Don Quixote has a better theory: that Freston the magician changed the giants into windmills in order to frustrate Don Quixote.
...So they are scary after all! You never know when Freston the magician will allow all these windmills to turn back into the scary giants! ;)

5 comments:

The Horaks said...

You've read Don Quixote?!?! ;)

jules said...

that's so funny :) you're hilarious, jess! is that on the way to cedar rapids? i've passed a bunch of them as you get down toward the IA border, there sure are a lot!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jessie!! I think you've been studying too much lately!!! If you want, I'll go out and fight those scary windmills with you!!! Kinda sounds fun!!! :D Love mom r.

Charity Dawn said...

I've heard that story before! I thought it was weird! Nice analogy though.

Sara Marie said...

I think that the Wind Turbines aren't that scary, I think that they are kinda interesting. They even have a technology class on that over at Iowa Lakes Community College. It is a growing class too!