Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Happy Birthday, MOM! Mom - I am so thankful there are days like these that I can take a moment (well, in my babbling mind, a moment is more like...minutes) of reflection, not only for myself, but also for others to know what a wonderful mother you are! Just a few memories...I think back to when we were all really little...one of my favorite things about you has always been your laughter. I think that was one of Dad's favorite things, too, because he always liked to make you smile and laugh. I remember when we kids would get in trouble in a family setting for doing something naughty (but also on the stupid side), you always had a hard time keeping a straight face and holding back your laughter when dad was trying to be sober and set us kids straight - then he would crack, too as soon as you let out a peep of laughter! Unfortunately (at the time) for us kids, that only happened once in awhile - most of the time discipline followed through. Hee, hee! I also am thankful for the love you and dad had for each other and the godly example you set for us kids. Your example of faith and love for God over all remained strong even when the Lord took Daddy home to be with Him. You have no idea what an impact your guys' response to that whole situation had on me as a little 10 year old. I remember having such mixed feelings and being so confused until by the example of your faith I realized God's way really is perfect. That's not to say I never ask why - but I'm thankful that when I do, I can go to you. There I find a listening ear, words of encouragement, but most importantly, you always point me back to the sovereignty of God and to His Word. There I find comfort from my Heavenly Father and promises that are waiting to be claimed by me, God's child! I remember at the beginning of our trial feeling that the world was coming to an end, but I have always remembered you telling me, "We're still going to have fun times!" As much as I'm sure you were even questioning that statement at the time, You were right and sure did follow through! You were always patient with me and my goofy and often headstrong ways! You loved my friends like I loved them and they loved you back. (you put up with my bags and bags of barbies and "fun things" that I insisted on bringing along whevenever I was to see Laura - even though time had proven that we never touched them when we were together because we always found something else to do) And I am so thankful for the many wonderful memories we've made as a family! All those years at Family Camp and countless trips here and there as everyone moved on to college. (I still think one of my favorites was our trip down to BJ when you excused yourself to the restroom and came back in a matter of moments (laughing so hard you could hardly talk) to inform us of your finding at the ladies restroom - a sign that read: "Please wait to be seated" Haha!)
I am thankful for your dedication as a Mother. My Senior year of high school you got a job as a Nurse Aid, and not once have I heard you complain of the fact that you must be at work almost every night of every week when I know it is your heart's desire to be a stay-at-home mom. Instead you embrace the opportunity God has given you to reach out to others there and all those residents and your coworkers love u!(I know why!) Then as I came to the point of graduating and making all my "BIG" decisions, you were right there to pray through them with me...which is how the Lord led me to where I am today. When I had to stay in the hospital the summer before college - not once in however many months I was there did I have to spend a night alone. You spent every night on that uncomfortable plastic couch in the freezing cold state of 60 degrees that I insisted the thermostat remain on :) When I finally got to college, you faithfully prayed for me, sent me e-mails, boxes (that everyone else was jealous of - heehee!), letters, and almost nightly phone calls (and even a few visits always packed with fun!). Now I'm back home working towards a nursing degree and you have been the bestest dorm sup ever! :) You are always supportive and encouraging even when I insist I can't do it! (You somehow get me to believe I'm smart enough. Haha!) It has been fun to be able to spend extra time with you that I wouldn't have been able to if I were still way up North. I have enjoyed our fun times: going to plays, movie nights, going on road trips (singing in the car), going on mother/daughter dates (shopping and eating out), and staying up into the night talking about everything and nothing with you. I am so thankful that you are MY mom (and now you're a grandmother, too! EEeehhhH!) You are not only my Mother, you are my role model, and my dearest friend. Thank you for everything - I am looking forward to what this next year will bring! Happy birthday to the bestest Mom in the whole wide world! (times infinity!) I love you forever! xo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post Jess! You do have a WONDERFUL Mom!! I am so glad she is my adopted Mom :D God has been so good and I am so thankful for our WHOLE family. Love you both!!

The Horaks said...

Awe, this is a very sweet post! And so true! Happy Birthday, Mom!!! We love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Jessie, How very sweet, and so true...you said it all so well. Your mom is also the bestest daughter-in-love I could ever ask for! I love you, Ann