Friday, April 14, 2006

Norway Teen Activity



Two weekends we had another youth activity at Norway Baptist Church. We had 9 teens, and just enough people to put 5 in each vehicle for the scavenger hunt. Laura and Pastor Markham were one team, Jenn and Jordan another, and Brian and me the last. That's the way it worked to - Laura's team won, and my team lost. oh well. It was all still a bunch of fun! ;) Jordan and Brians put together this whole thing so we were running around Norway and Iron Mountain trying to complete the list, and then we had to take pictures of ourselves doing it for proof. The boys on our team had a great time and really got into it! At each place we would give a tract to the person who helped us accomplish our goal. It gave some good opportunities. The bowling alley was our first stop - I was glad to find the balls are color coded the same as they are back home. The pink swirls are the light ones ;) I guess that makes sense, though, cause if you made heavy ones pink, no guy would want to use them, unless he's one of those wierdos who thinks pink is cool ;) haha!

This next picture is at the Goodwill store. We were supposed to take pictures with hats on. This particular one was not a favorite of mine - it didn't seem to appealing to me to try on a bunch of hats from a second hand store (and I have nothing against second hand stores - love to shop there, actually, but there are just certain things from second hand stores that you don't buy or try on...hats being one of them). But I did was a good sport and did it anyway ;) But that is why my hat is sitting so funny on the top of my head - I didn't really put it on - on. The boys chose some very colorful hats! :) haha! (and tried on several before they found the perfect ones).
Another thing we had to do was get a picture inside a vehicle that was for sale at a dealership. It was a Saturday eveing, so the two we tried were closed, but then as we were driving down the road, we saw this little local place, and the guy was right there outside helping a customer. So we came and waited our turn, and then the boys very eagerly and nicely explained to the guy what we needed. I think he misunderstood a little - I think he thought he might get in the paper if he did this because he suddenly was like, OH! okay! and mentioned something about maybe getting on the front page then, and getting some free advertising for himself. haha! then said, well, let me go get the keys to my nicest car on the lot, and i'll get rags for your feet so you can ALL be in it, and then he took several shots from different angles. We were racing the other teams, but there's only so much you can do without being rude, so we just smiled for him till he felt the pictures, etc, that he'd taken were sufficient. :) haha! He was a nice man, and the boys thought it was great!
Our next stop was Kame apart...did I just say that!? I meant K-mart! hee,hee. We were supposed to get a picture of us all suspended on a kame apart (oops! i did it again! that's so hard!), a k-mart cart. After the picture I stayed and held the cart for them all to get off, and then Danny just sat there and looked at me with this little smirk and then finally he was like push me fast and let go! haha! I was glad I had decided to be the one to hold the cart and not one of the other boys, or he might have convinced one of them to. Silly boys!

From K-mart (I got it right this time! well, actually, I think the other is more accurate, but at least I spelled it right) we ran across the parking lot to Dunhams where we had to take a picture with golf clubs. Danny looks like the only one who knows what to do with one - and come to think of it...he probably is. I look like i'm going to play baseball with mine. haha! I loved it cause Danny got so into everything. He cracked me up! ;)



Here we are at Walmart - we were supposed to get a picture with coffee, milk, and bread, and then we also were to get a picture with the little old lady walmart greeter (that's what Jordan and Brian called her on the list-so it was a good thing the little old man wasn't working that day ;) heehee!) I was bummed that she didn't give us smile face stickers, though, those are my favorite! ;)






Jeri's quilt patch was our last stop - it's on the road right before you get back to the church. We were all pointing to the "l" because the list said Jeri's quit patch! heehee! It was a very fun activity, and perfect weather! Our team had a great time even though we didn't win. :) It was neat, too, because the activity encouraged some kids to come who hadn't been coming for awhile, and then we saw them in church again, too, on Sunday. It's been so awesome to see how the Lord has been working in the church. Just since we've come here it has grown tremendously! PTL! :)

2 comments:

jules said...

that does look like a LOT of fun! :) u r so cute - that was a real good blog post to read up on! :) it kept me smiling b/c i could just imagine being there -- hahaa, love u!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jessie, for such a FUN post!!! I think that that game would be great for OUR youth group this summer!!! Don't you think that you, Julie, and Laura could put that all together!?!?!?! ;) I just love the pictures, too!!! Thank you!! Love, Mommy