Sunday, April 02, 2006

March 19th, 1987




Well, this next series of posts is in honor of Laura's birthday. It is belated, because we were actually home over her birthday, so I could not blog with our slow computer ;) Now that we're back at school, I have a fast computer, and we've had her party, so I am blogging HAPPY GOLDEN 19TH BIRTHDAY, LAURA!!!!! This is the garfield comic strip from the actual day that she was born. I don't know if you remember, but I told you earlier when I was blogging lots of garfield comics that we could not believe how perfect it is! It doesn't really make sense by itself cause it's with a series over several days, but the word to catch in there is Bertha. For those of you who still don't really know what I'm talking about -- for the past several years, Laura and I have also been two old ladies who suffer from alzhiemers. Hee, hee!


So here we are: Julie = Mortimer, Me = Thelma, and Laura = Bertha. This is a picture from Jennifer's bridal shower. One of the times I was back from the hospital, Laura and I wrote this skit together for another girls' shower, but weren't able to do it cause I had to go back in the hospital, but then when Jenn's rolled around, I was out for the weekend, so we tweeked it, and stuck Julie in there because she was back from school and did it for hers!! We titled it "The Imaginary Husband." My husband was Mortimer, and Laura had an imaginary husband, so we went out to eat for our anniversaries. Through the whole thing Thelma and Bertha have this silent husband competition, unbeknownst to Mortimer who forgets to open the car door for me, or pull out my chair, or help me with my coat, or let me order whatever I want no matter how expensive it is, or even to say happy anniversary! Well, Bertha notices each of these things, and calls them to attention by loudly thanking her imaginary husband for doing each of these things for HER! Anyways, in the end, Bertha walks out saying her husband will be paying for her, (her slip falls down, and she steps out of it and stuffs it in her purse.) Mortimer then gets up and gets down on his knee and gives me a special necklace and tells me happy anniversary now that it's "just us" - and I exclaim how happy I am to have a REAL husband (even though he wasn't perfect). Anyways, that's what that picture is all about - and that's Thelma and Bertha. Haha!

Happy Birthday, Bertha! ;)

4 comments:

Laura Kimbrough said...

hahahaha! that's HILARIOUS that that comic strip-published on THE day i was born- has BERTHA in it! haha! i LOVE our thelma-mortimer-betha memories. our moms and friends have been so nice to put up with us because you never know when we'll break out in a thelma-morty-bertha moment. :) that skit was sooo much fun too...and if only the audience could see all the things that take place behind the scenes...haha!!! thanks for the fun post thelma...it's so neat how we can put them there pictures up on the tv like that these days. welp...better go get my dentures out of the oven. love u! love, beRth@

Anonymous said...

That was so funny!! I couldn't even laugh out loud because I was video taping it. Boy, was that hard!! You are all so funny!!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!! Oh!!! Bertha, Mortimer, and Thelma are the best, . . . at least I think they are!!! I, too, suffer from alzheimers!! I can remember taking you girls to camp and listening to the alzheimer moments ALL THE WAY TO NORTHLAND!!!!! SO FUNNY!!!! :D Thanks for keeping me awake and for all of the wonderful memories!!! Love, Mom Rabe

The Horaks said...

That was SO funny! I will never forget that skit! I always love it when you girls get together and start being Bertha and Thelma and Mortimer! Remember when you signed the guest book over and over?! HAHA!!! You girls are great! Love you!