Saturday, February 04, 2006

On This Day...

Well, I've tried and tried to get some pictures to post here, but for some reason - nothing will post in this spot, so instead of having it blank here, i'll just go ahead and write something. :)

On this day in History (February 4th):

in 1913, Rosa Lee Parks civil rights activist (bus protester) was born.

in 1957, Joseph Hardaway creator of Bugs Bunny, died at 66.

in 1854, Alvan Bovay proposed the name "Republican Party", Ripon WI.

in 1973, "No, No Nanette" closed at 46th St Theater NYC after 861 performances.

in 1984, Frank Aquilera set world frisbee distance record (168 meters) Las Vegas.
(I'm expecting either Jason or Jordan to beat that record this summer ;)

in 1991, US postage raises from 25¢ to 29¢
(wow - it's raised a lot already!)

in 1997, OJ Simpson found liable in murders of Ron Goldman & Nicole Simpson.
(makes me think of when Dan Rather thought he saw OJ in the back of a Jeep, and it was really a spare tire! hahaha! I'm so glad he retired, though I do miss his little observations like that! haha! But I DON't miss his whistle when he says his s's ;)

in 1998, Bill Gates gets a pie thrown in his face in Brussels Belgium
(that's random - kind of interesting - I wonder how much money he got for doing that?)

US Holiday: Kosciuszko Day (does anyone know what this day is?)

Switzerland : Homstrom-celebrates end of winter - - - - - ( Sunday )
(well, if it's the end of winter there, hopefully that means it almost is here, too - I think I already have spring fever!)

1873, Birth of George Bennard, American Methodist evangelist. He penned over 300 Gospel songs during his lifetime, but is primarily remembered today for one: "The Old Rugged Cross."

in 1874, English poet and devotional writer Frances Ridley Havergal, 37, penned the words to the popular hymn of commitment, "Take My Life and Let It Be [Consecrated, Lord, to Thee]."

1950 American missionary and martyr Jim Elliot resolved in his journal: 'I may no longer depend on pleasant impulses to bring me before the Lord. I must rather respond to principles I know to be right, whether I feel them to be enjoyable or not.'

Thought for the day :" Put your brain in gear before starting your mouth. "

No comments: